1. The machine looked like a large， ________， old-fashioned typewriter.
A) forceful B) clumsy C) intense D) tricky
2. Though she began her ________ by singing in a local pop group， she is now a famous Hollywood movie star.
A) employment B) career C) occupation D) profession
3. Within two weeks of arrival， all foreigners had to ________ with the local police.
A) inquire B) consult C) register D) resolve
4. Considering your salary， you should be able to ________ at least twenty dollars a week.
A) put forward B) put up C) put out D) put aside
5. As he has ________ our patience， we‘ll not wait for him any longer.
A) torn B) wasted C) exhausted D) consumed
6. These teachers try to be objective when they ________ the integrated ability of their students.
A) justify B) evaluate C) indicate D) reckon
7. Mrs. Morris‘s daughter is pretty and ________， and many girls envy her.
A) slender B) light C) faint D) minor
8. Tomorrow the mayor is to ________ a group of Canadian businessmen on a tour of the city.
A) coordinate B) cooperate C) accompany D) associate
9. I‘m ________ enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
A) realistic B) conscious C) aware D) radical
10. Can you give me even the ________ clue as to where her son might be
A) simplest B) slightest C) least D) utmost
11. Norman Davis will be remembered by many with ________ not only as a great scholar but also as a most delightful and faithful friend.
A) kindness B) friendliness C) warmth D) affection
12. Salaries for ________ positions seem to be higher than for permanent ones.
A) legal B) optional C) voluntary D) temporary
13. Most people agree that the present role of women has already affected U.S. society. ________， it has affected the traditional role of men.
A) Above all B) In all C) At most D) At last
14. Science and technology have ________ in important ways to the improvement of agricultural production.
A) attached B) assisted C) contributed D) witnessed
15. As an actor he could communicate a whole ________ of emotions.
A) frame B) range C) number D) scale